РУС | УКР | EN | DE
Початок
Товариство
Притулок
Ваш внесок
Бібліотека
Наші підопічні
Форум

Автор Тема: does anyone speak english here? some questions regarding animals.  (Прочитано 3922 раз)  Share 

idaviruma

• Перегляд профілю
does anyone speak english here? some questions regarding animals.
« : Грудень 11, 2007, 06:50:23 pm »
Hello, I'm ukranian living in united states, I really want to help stray animals because it breaks my heart knowing the pain personally yet feeling entirely helpless when it comes to getting help.
Even though the animal overpopulation is a serious problem here, there are hundreds of rescue organizations that are funded by many people and in shelters animals are euthanized humanely.

I was born in kamenets-podilski but moved to estonia when I was 3 and I know stray animals is not only ukraines problem. The main issue has always been lack of education, animals produce more animals and the problem is only getting bigger. I admire the fact that people are feeding these animals, but they need to be spayed/neutered to stop the cycle of reproduction.
That is what I'm interested in helping. Its the only way to stop this problem. If a low cost spay/neuter services were available to pet owners, this would not be such a big issue.

Can anyone give me information about this and whether this service is provided to the people? or at the shelters?

thank you very much

vika

admin

• Administrator
  • Я добро помню. Но и зла, тем более, не забываю (С)
    • Перегляд профілю
Re: does anyone speak english here? some questions regarding animals.
« Reply #1 : Грудень 11, 2007, 09:42:18 pm »
Hi vika, welcome!

We think too that neutering is the only way to solve the problem, not just masquerade it. With this idea in mind the shelter in Gostomel has built this year a largest in Ukraine veterinary hospital (it's not too uncommon though) with appropriate rehabilitation facilities (this is really a single instance). This infrastructure is intended to do up to 3'500 OPs a year. However the shelter is missing funding. Although neutering is being continuously performed there, the volumes only fulfill shelter's needs.

Municipal authorities in Kiev pronounced their intention to neuter stray animals and return them to their usual habitat. There are two concerns though: 1) the volumes are far insufficient to cover all 30'000+ stray dogs living in Kiev in any reasonable time, and 2) nobody have ever seen yet any animal that returned from there (remember the same organization was strays catcher service until very recently).

Therefore we believe that Gostomel facilities is most realistic way to achieve the goal. Again, it's all about funding. An amount comparable to 1'000 Euro a month would guarantee 3'500 neutered animals a year...

Перепечко Катерина

• Гість
« Reply #2 : Грудень 12, 2007, 12:28:24 pm »
there is one more point. here, in Kiev, one person, who takes animals under his patronage, can neuter max 10 for free. that is what many of the volunteers do.
Gostomel and similar shelters can contribute significantly. but... you know, Vika, many of us still don't understand the very reason of neutering. here we came across a need for mass media campaign or smth. but the routs lie much deeper...  many of us still don't understand the dogs' and cats' right for life. its a ukrainian civilization matter. fortunately, we have a great example of shelter in Odessa, that was created with EU funding. animals there are treated better than people in some remoted places of our country. the government is being forced to turn down killing homeless animals. and common people is shocked. they never thought weak creatures could live like that... happily... well, i start thinking that money really can do a lot.     

idaviruma

• Перегляд профілю
« Reply #3 : Грудень 12, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »
thank you for the reply. I can understand the lack of funding and I have every intention of helping, but I want to know how reliable this place is and whether my money is helping the animal directly. I really wish I could physically go there and help, but unfortunately its not possible at the moment. Here spaying and neutering is a major movement and unless the animal is planned to be bred, most of the animals are fixed. It has a lot to do with proper advertisement, there are several agressive animal right groups like PETA(people for ethical treatment of animals) and they use tactics such as showing graphic photographs such as this

or getting animal loving celebrities to be on tv and talk about the issues, that way many people actually listen. For example we have dog parks here and a person with a dog thats not fixed is not allowed to the park until its done.
I also understand that many people in europe have a mentallity that animals should be given the chance to reproduce which I personally find rather absurd, shouldnt they be given a chance at a good life instead?
Are spay/neuter facilities available to people in other regions, besides the shelter? I think the key at this point is education and appropriate advertisement on the topic, if people dont know what the problem is, they'll never change.

admin

• Administrator
    • Перегляд профілю
« Reply #4 : Грудень 12, 2007, 08:43:24 pm »
Well, try to sort out your questions...

1) Guarantee that the money will be used for the right deed.
I can give you this guarantee. I've been to the shelter (otherwise I live and perform in Switzerland), I'm tightly observing it's progress during last 2 years and I know that the shelter keepers pull money from their pockets because the donations are almost always insufficient for the very survival (food and basic care) of 700 animals... well, Kate is talking about 600, she might have more fresh info.

2) Guarantee that the money will be used for the sterilization of animals.
It depends on the amount. If we are talking about recurrent (stable, which is very important) donations that cover at least half of the amount needed - then yes, certainly, mass sterilization will start. If it's about some irregular donations from private persons - then they are usually insufficient; we can't employ medical personnel - and find in a month that there is no money to continue.

3) Education of the people.
You are right, it's an issue. However education is so resource consuming area that either has to be done on the state level, or supported by very powerful international funds. Currently we don't have any of these options.

4) Lack of education is the only problem.
It's an illusion. People in Ukraine often have quite another problem - lack of money, even that small. Another problem is irresponsibility, they don't want to realize their direct relation to the destiny of puppies.

Балерина

• Перегляд профілю
« Reply #5 : Січень 06, 2008, 09:49:44 pm »
эх, говорила мне мама "учи английский", а я все балет да балет!.. :-\
люди, о чем речь-то ведется? о чем-то хорошем?  ::) мои скромные познания помогли понять суть, но если можно поподробнее. может не только я не понимаю  :-[

admin

• Administrator
    • Перегляд профілю
« Reply #6 : Січень 07, 2008, 12:10:27 am »
эх, говорила мне мама "учи английский", а я все балет да балет!.. :-\
люди, о чем речь-то ведется?
В данном случае что английский, что балет...
vika живет в США, уехала из Каменец-Подольского, когда ей было 3 года. Интересуется состоянием дел с защитой животных в Украине. Сообщает, что рада бы помочь деньгами, но только при условии, что ............ 
Общение прервалось на констатации того, что кроме проблемы необразованности - которая, несомненно, очень важна и должна решаться, - у нашего населения есть еще много других проблем, например безденежье и безответственность.

idaviruma

• Перегляд профілю
« Reply #7 : Січень 09, 2008, 12:58:40 am »
thank you for replying again, its a very heartbraking issue for me, I've talked to few people here and unfortunately most hold the mentality of help their own, some people are kind enough to adopt animals from canada and mexico, where they are put in gas chambers or electrecuted. You'd think people would evolve to become kinder, yet we cant acknowledge the concept of compassion even among us. Its very sad. I'm a college student and pretty broke, but hopefully getting a new job soon, and I'll be able to help out. I might be able to go to Ukraine in the summer, still not sure, but I dread the idea of seeing all those homeless animals.
If you can suggest ways I can help besides money donation to bring awareness here, I'd be happy to. I've created couple groups online but not too many people care to join, to them, its when you dont see it, and dont hear it, it doesent exist.

admin

• Administrator
    • Перегляд профілю
« Reply #8 : Січень 09, 2008, 11:29:03 am »
vika, this mentality is international unfortunately. It's still a challenge for the society to adopt the understanding that humanity should not necessarily target humans only. Care for strays or, even more abstract, the environment does not often raise echo in people's hearts.

I hope very much you come to Ukraine next sommer! First, you see the country you originate from. Second, you have a chance to visit Gostomel shelter. Your help in the shelter, if you find time to contribute some, is always very appreciated too. And you enjoy the visit I promise.
If you have no contacts in Ukraine please don't hesitate to reach me (via private messages on the forum or email or mobile or ...)  Although I live in CH, I still have friends in UA who can meet you in the airport, help with accommodation and guide you in Kiev.

In the meantime you can help very much indeed by contacting animal protection organizations in USA with the purpose to find some funding. Reliable source to cover basic shelter needs (first of all food for animals) shifts our daily challenges from survival to more proactive tasks such as education and streamline sterilization. Your planned visit to UA would help here too because charities trust eye-witnesses.

We wish you successful graduation and exciting new job!
And for sure we are eager to hear from you again, so keep in touch.